The Lost Wikingz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wikingz meetingplace

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!

Go down 
+5
bensonk
w_alloy
plex0n
Tehemai
fadeinlight
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fadeinlight
captain
captain

New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! Empty
PostSubject: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:28 am

N1njaStr1ker is having issues getting online due to power outages in the Northeastern United States. He doesn't think that power will be returned until Thursday or Friday, so he is starting another of his war bond contests to stimulate activity Smile

Starting with the war after X-Com occurring on Monday the 31st (11:26 AM PST, -7:00 hrs GMT), the three members with the most points in wars will be awarded a total of 920 war bonds! Last time, 1st place was awarded 730 warbonds, followed by 2nd with 130, and third with 60. The last war will be on Friday--a war that we will be scheduling against Fluffy Bunny Brigade, in order to neuter those bastards.

Good luck to all of you!

**edit: I specified that it was 11:26 AM PST, rather than just 11:26 PST

Last edited by fadeinlight on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tehemai
sergeant
sergeant
Tehemai

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 am

I have my doubt on whether it's possible or not for none elite members to compete with the 12k or so third place put up last time but I'll try giving it my all anyway. Still this seems like giving money to the rich to me.
Back to top Go down
plex0n
General of the Army
General of the Army

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 pm

I think that a good offensive strategy along with good defense and high activity will compete in the top.
You might have to use WB your self, but isn't that what ninja wants. To raise the level of activity between our members to new grounds.

Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Tehemai wrote:
I have my doubt on whether it's possible or not for none elite members to compete with the 12k or so third place put up last time but I'll try giving it my all anyway. Still this seems like giving money to the rich to me.

Falos isn't a war bonder, as far as I know. He's just very consistent (and puts together a mean deck). I used about 80 warbonds last time, as did Sneaky...but primarily my interest was in winning battles while N1nja was away. I won't be as available this time around to the game, as I have school all week.

If you're having problems tehemai, I'd strongly suggest you use evaluate decks to simulate battles against various factions. That program made the difference in for me in this game. You'll find a link to in in this (general) section, under "useful tools for tyrant." I'll be happy to help you use it if you have questions.

Beyond that, if I do happen to win this time (very unlikely) then I'll probably just keep enough wb to recover my losses on refills, plus an extra 130 or so, then I'll ask N1nja to spread them around amongst the top 4-5 or so if he's willing. But I won't be giving mine away just because someone asks--you have to really put in an effort for this faction to win.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:57 pm

I think this is a fun idea, I've done the same in other games to motivate members and just have a little fun with it.

Maybe it will go to people buying refills, but maybe not. I would not complain if it did since it would be like a refund then anyway. =-)

Just one thing tho. This is measuring your overall net score right (wins - losses), that way people don't get incentives to surge when they ought not, just so they get more win points even if they cost the faction too many points in losses. Right? Also gives incentives to maintain a solid def deck too.
Back to top Go down
w_alloy
sergeant
sergeant

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm

This contest is awesome! I'll do what I can but have lots of school this week.

Also wanted to post this quote from Ninja in chat since he currently cant access forum and I didn't see it in thread yet:

"N1njaStr1ker: guys wbs not allowed for contest so fight without wbs if someone uses wbs to fight and help win a war they will have to try and keep track of those points. No one on team really uses wbs anyway"
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm

clikml wrote:
I think this is a fun idea, I've done the same in other games to motivate members and just have a little fun with it.

Maybe it will go to people buying refills, but maybe not. I would not complain if it did since it would be like a refund then anyway. =-)

Just one thing tho. This is measuring your overall net score right (wins - losses), that way people don't get incentives to surge when they ought not, just so they get more win points even if they cost the faction too many points in losses. Right? Also gives incentives to maintain a solid def deck too.

I'm not sure if he wants to go by points or net points. The last time we went by points, but we were debating to go by net points the next time around and I don't think we came to a conclusion on the matter. I'll ask him tomorrow and post his reply.

Suffice it to say that an effective surging deck is going to beat an effective fight deck any day of the week, and we want to encourage our members to get into the habit of surging (which is why we are going to a net-points requirement as opposed to a loyalty-point requirement in the very near future). For instance, I have a deck that evaluates to 95% victory on fight, 68% chance on surge (vs. some old decks that are probably not as relevant anymore). The easiest way to figure out your point potential is to imagine 100 battles. On fight, I'd win 95 * 20 points (~1900 points), while losing about 50. On surge, I'd win 95 * 40 points (~3800), while losing 320. While the ratio of points won to points lost is better on fight, the total net points is -way- better on surge. As we have limited stamina and time, surging is usually the way to go.

Since the only thing that determines victory in faction wars is how many more points you gave us than you gave them, you want that spread to be as large as possible. Surging successfully and surrendering at the right time is the best way to do that.

FYI, we will be coming up with effective surge decks in the near future, to help you guys out...
Back to top Go down
w_alloy
sergeant
sergeant

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 pm

fadeinlight wrote:

I'm not sure if he wants to go by points or net points.

He said in chat (from a friend's house) that it is based on net points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 5:04 am

this contest will be won by 16-18h/day surger only. i'll calculate and post all members' score if officers tell me exact conditions
Back to top Go down
bensonk
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 6:36 am

wow..is it far too much for the first to third winner....hahas
may spread it to a smaller amount to different players are more mericer....Smile
Back to top Go down
screwball
sergeant
sergeant

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 am

kfsw: I believe the conditions are just the net points contributed to each war (just the points gained and subtract the points lost from that). You're right it'll be won by surgers only, I think we should ban some from the competition, like me.

bensonk: I thought so too, but I think that's how the Kred cards bought from store are sold, so it's not possible for Ninja to even out the WBs to 1st to 3rd equally. It's priced according to the WBs you can buy on Kongregate itself, I think. So too bad!

For everyone else, good luck in contest! Maybe we can try to segregate 920 WBs into two pools, one for fight and one for surge? Only if we can find out how to separate those WBs.
Back to top Go down
kanichan
captain
captain

PostSubject: re @ all   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 am

hey,

Just wanna put this out there, This contests are 100% sponsored by n1njastr1ker. There is no buy in no minimum level nothing.
So i would appreciate it if no one talked about the distribution being unfair and the contest being unfair, because even if it is unfair
it does not have to be fair because it is sponsored by a player. And he is not bound to any rules (;

Kani.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 am

screwball: surgers are the ones faction needs, they should get most of the bonus imo. why you think you should get banned?
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 am

kanichan wrote:
hey,

Just wanna put this out there, This contests are 100% sponsored by n1njastr1ker. There is no buy in no minimum level nothing.
So i would appreciate it if no one talked about the distribution being unfair and the contest being unfair, because even if it is unfair
it does not have to be fair because it is sponsored by a player. And he is not bound to any rules (;

Kani.

This pretty much says it all. We should be grateful that N1nja is doing this in the first place--a chance to win a share of 920 wb is better than no chance under any scenario.

We have a lot of really smart members in this faction--particularly with our recruitment of some of the elite from factions such as -HOT-, Memories of Nobody, and the return of kfsw to the game Smile Don't sell yourselves short.

I won the competition last time mainly because I realized the potential of a certain deck before anyone else did (support carriers with elemental and orbo legendary). That advantage has evaporated, and we now see a preponderance of fear decks on defense (as well as support carrier spam). How can you remain ahead of the shift in meta? Determining the answer to that question is what determines whether you are successful in this game.
Back to top Go down
screwball
sergeant
sergeant

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:28 am

So orbo is a waste of 150 WBs?
Back to top Go down
kanichan
captain
captain

PostSubject: @ screw    New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:15 am

discussing the use of a card in other thread pleas?(:
Back to top Go down
Tehemai
sergeant
sergeant
Tehemai

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:25 am

Hey hey! Don't misunderstand me! I never said anything bad about Ninja or even his contest. You're right, it can be unfair if he wants it. Just questioned whether or not I should compete given that I can't yield anywhere near the same success rate as wb players. I've been trying, jumping from deck to deck and asking people for tips, even finding time to log on in times when I really shouldn't. Yet trying to keep up with the guys that have amazing surge scores because of access to wb cards has only caused my actual net score to drop considerably. I checked the forum, only kanichan posted surge decks that don't use dracorex and they all failed miserably.

It's a great contest, but I don't think it was designed for everyone. =/ Gonna play this contest out till the end since I put allot of time into it but I'm pretty sure I won't be trying next time unless I go elite.

Again, please don't misconstrue this post of mines as well. I'm in no way criticizing Ninja for making a tourney that benefits the rich. As you said this is a gift on his part and it could be a single gold coin given away in the meanest member of the faction and it will still be an act of generosity. I'm just doubtful of whether or not poor people such as myself should try to compete as they will most likely have to put in allot more hours than the people who have the means to earn the wb by other means.
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 am

Tehemai wrote:
Hey hey! Don't misunderstand me! I never said anything bad about Ninja or even his contest. You're right, it can be unfair if he wants it. Just questioned whether or not I should compete given that I can't yield anywhere near the same success rate as wb players. I've been trying, jumping from deck to deck and asking people for tips, even finding time to log on in times when I really shouldn't. Yet trying to keep up with the guys that have amazing surge scores because of access to wb cards has only caused my actual net score to drop considerably. I checked the forum, only kanichan posted surge decks that don't use dracorex and they all failed miserably.

It's a great contest, but I don't think it was designed for everyone. =/ Gonna play this contest out till the end since I put allot of time into it but I'm pretty sure I won't be trying next time unless I go elite.

Again, please don't misconstrue this post of mines as well. I'm in no way criticizing Ninja for making a tourney that benefits the rich. As you said this is a gift on his part and it could be a single gold coin given away in the meanest member of the faction and it will still be an act of generosity. I'm just doubtful of whether or not poor people such as myself should try to compete as they will most likely have to put in allot more hours than the people who have the means to earn the wb by other means.

I guess it's time we started making more surge decks that didn't involve warbonds...I'll try to make sure to post alternates whenever possible. The reason I usually post decks with wb cards is simply because I use them, lol.

I purchased some wb when I first started playing and didn't know anything, and I bought junk (like uncommon cards, etc.). When I finally got around to making the best deck I could with the cards that were available before Apollo and the purity expansion, it turned out that it was made almost entirely of uniques from achievements and such: Atlas, Tiamat, Predator, Bulldozer, Dozer Tank, Rifter, Stealthy Niaq, Poseidon, and some other cards. Dracorex doesn't help a deck like that out at all.

As it stands today, you can build a pretty titanic deck from gold cards and rewards. For instance, Apollo, Support Carriers, Azure Reapers, Stealthy Niaq and Elemental can make a pretty good deck. Gorivore makes a nice addition as well.

Also, with certain factions so engrossed in defending against support carrier spam, we've seen a drop in the number of structure decks and an increase in the amount of fear rush. You know what smokes fear rush? Irradiated Infantry and Thaddius, lol.

One of the upcoming expansions is going to feature a pack that is buyable with gold, so keep an eye out for that as well.
Back to top Go down
Tehemai
sergeant
sergeant
Tehemai

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 am

That's awesome news about the new pack, hopefully it won't be as bad as enclave. Also I really would appreciate someone posting various surge decks, perhaps taking into account various levels of cards unlocked (Don't have apollo yet but got super close today). I don't see that many fear defensive decks, not enough to justify using a deck as basic as II rush. The problem is finding a deck that can work on a wide variety of defensive decks. From dracorex SC spam, wallstall(the counter variety as well), fear, strike, etc.

And really dracorex is particularly amazing at surging as it lets your cards survive until activation which is often not the case without him and that's pretty much the biggest disadvantage you have when surging.
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:02 am

Here's a fear surge deck that is pretty easy to unlock, and will get you ~54% surge on auto vs. Fluffy Bunny Brigade (please note that this is using the 26 or so decks that I wrote down, not all of them):

Stavros
10x Pathrazer

substitute beholder for a pathrazer, and you get an extra 2% chance to win.

(kind of interesting that Stavros works better against FBB than Dalia, right? But if you substitute Dalia, the % victory on surge drops to 37%)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/eae392d0-03b2-4c2d-b479-ec1e66233c9b/8b25c1d50dc5b230fc554e96333c64a9

full stats of contest wars to actual moment
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm

kfsw wrote:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/eae392d0-03b2-4c2d-b479-ec1e66233c9b/8b25c1d50dc5b230fc554e96333c64a9

full stats of contest wars to actual moment

Wow, that is simply awesome. Did you enter all of the numbers manually, or is it updating itself?

**edit: nevermind, I figured it out myself.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 pm

i used data that browser gets when clicking on a button in tyrant, then formatted it and put to excel. took ~20 min to do this
Back to top Go down
fadeinlight
captain
captain

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

kfsw wrote:
i used data that browser gets when clicking on a button in tyrant, then formatted it and put to excel. took ~20 min to do this

Is there a certain program that you use to do this? It would save us tons of time when we go to the new system using net points rather than lp. I would ask you to do it, but I wouldn't want to take up your time with the task...

Two things: the first is that we started the contest at the first war -after- X-com. N1nja told me while we were in the middle of that war, and I didn't think it was fair to start the contest until I had at least notified everyone in the forums and in faction chat. The second is that I'm not sure whether he is counting war-bonded battles yet...I have heard that he isn't, but I don't know how we're going to determine which ones have been war-bonded besides people's word.

If we aren't counting points earned from war bonds, then my total is 65 points less (I refilled once against Rhinos because I thought that they were warbonding themselves--unfortunately I went 3-7 with that stamina, which I figure netted ~65 points).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm

fiddler2 to get packets with data, notepad++ to preformat, ms excel to calculate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!   New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New War Bond Contest through Thursday/Friday!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next